In Windows 10, Microsoft really forces those updates out and restarts PCs even if you were in the middle of something. You cannot prevent the annoying Updates downloading and installing programs just by disabling the Windows Update service, because Windows 10 overrides this setting. Here are some methods to remove update feature from Windows 10 system.
First, you should completely uninstall Windows 10 Update Assistant in your computer. Once uninstall Windows 10 Update Assistant, you can start the steps below:
Method 1 - Disable the Windows Update Service
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo key + R key to open run command box.
- In run command box, type: services.msc and press Enter.
- Right click on Windows Update service and select Properties.
- At General tab:
- Press Stop to stop the Windows Update Service.
- Set the Startup type to Disabled.
- Then select the Log On tab.
- Select This Account and then click Browse.
- Type your account name and click Check Names. Then click OK
- Now type a wrong password (twice), and click Apply.
- Then select the Recovery tab and set the computer's response if the service fails to Take No Action. Then, click OK to close the Windows Update Properties.
- From now on, you will receive the following error message whenever you try to download or install updates: "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. (0x80070437)
Method 2 - Disable Windows Update Tasks
- Open Task Scheduler. To do that open Cortana search and type task. Then click to open Task Scheduler.
- In Task Scheduler, navigate to the following location:
Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Update
- Right click at Scheduled Start and click Disable.
- Then right click at sih and click Disable again.
- Close Task Scheduler. You are done.
Note: If you change your decision and you want to install the available Windows updates in the future, then just undo the above changes and then reboot your computer.
Method 3 - Use tools to Disable Windows Update
After you disable the Windows Update service, You need to also disable the Windows Update Medic Service – but this is not easy, you will get an Access is Denied message. We have to use software tools like Windows Update Blocker to do the task.
Windows Update Blocker allows you control Windows 10 Updates and lets you disable Windows Update Medic Service (WaaSMedicSvc). This tool is less than 900KB and completely portable which means that you are no longer required to go through the installation process and no leftovers will remain on the HDD after its removal. You can download the zip file here, unzip it and start using the tool.
How it works
After downloading, extract Windows Update Blocker to your desired location, then run it
The Service Status icon will show your windows Update service status , if you want to block Automatic Windows Updates Choose Disable Service And click Apply Now Button , Protect service setings can prevent Uncontrolled change (Recommended).
How to block any other service and protect the settings
Windows Update Blocker allows users to add any other service into Wub.ini file to block it , first please edit Wub.ini file and add your desired service name under the dosvc=2,4 line , for example if you want to block Windows Update medic Service Please open services and find it
then click on it and copy the Service Name WaaSMedicSvc
Write or paste the service name under the dosvc=2,4 line
Finally open Windows Update Blocker and use Apply now button. If you want to delete recently added service after a while please follow these steps:
1. Open Windows Update Blocker and choose Enable service option then use Apply now button.
2. Delete your desired service line from the Wub.ini file
3. Now you can choose Disable service and Protect service settings options
- If you don’t follow these steps and just delete any service from the Wub.ini file the service status will remain protected.
- Windows Update Blocker supports Command line options to automate Windows Update Blocker tasks :
- Supported operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8.1 , Windows 8 , Windows 7 , Windos Vista ,Windows XP (32\64-bit).
Method 4 - Change Device Installation Settings to stop Windows 10 update
If you don’t want to automatically update your device drivers in your computer, you can try these steps:
- Go to Control Panel and Click System and Security, then click System.
- Click Advanced system settings on the left.
- Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Installation Settings.
- Select No (your device might not work as expected) and click Save changes.
- Click OK to finish the settings. Then your device drivers will not automatically download from the manufacturers.
Method 5 - Block Windows Update Program From the Internet in Windows 10
- Press the Windows logo key, find windows defender security center and click it.
- Click firewall & network protection. From the left side of the window, click the Advanced Settings.
- Now you’ll be presented with the Windows Firewall Settings with Advanced Security pop up window.
- Select the Outbound Rules from the left column.
- Now you will be presented with the Advanced Outbound Rules window.
- Select New Rule from the right side Actions column.
- When asked which type of connection you want to block, select Program and then click the Next > button.
- Click the Browse button next to This program path: to choose which program you want to block. If you want to block more than one program, you can follow the instructions above to create multiple rules.
- Click through the folders on your PC until you find the Application you want to block from accessing the Internet. Usually it is in the Windows -> System32 folder, find and select WindowsUpdateElevatedInstaller.exe by clicking on it once, and then click the Open button.
- Click the Next button to continue.
- Select Block the connection and then click the Next button.
- Make sure that all three items (Domain, Private and Public) have “check marks” next to them, and then click the Next > button.
- Give your newly created rule a name and quick description, and finally, click the Finish button.
- You will be returned to the Advanced Outbound Windows Firewall Settings window. Now you can see your newly created Rule in the Actions column on the right side.